- Pick 2-3 foods, including at least one from each of the following food groups:
-bread and grain (i.e.cereal, toast, muffin)
-milk and milk product (i.e. low-fat yogurt, low-fat milk)
-fruit or vegetable group (i.e bananas, apples, carrots)
- Pick up portable breakfast items when at the grocery store. You should buy foods like fruit, low-fat yogurt, whole grain breakfast bars, or granola bars for those mornings when you have to eat breakfast on the go.
- Replace or accompany that morning cup of coffee with a glass of orange juice or milk.
- Make an omelette! You can shorten preparation time by chopping up your vegetables ahead of time.
- Get up 15 minutes earlier. You can fix and consume a healthy breakfast in 15 minutes or less.
- Plan ahead to eat breakfast. This means you should decide what you are going to eat for breakfast before the next morning. You can save time by putting out the box of cereal or cutting up some fruit the night before.
Friday, May 25, 2012
Here are some of the ways that regularly eating a healthy breakfast may help you lose excess weight and maintain your weight loss:
· Reduced hunger. Eating breakfast may reduce your hunger later in the day, which may make it easier to avoid overeating. When you skip breakfast, you may feel ravenous later and be tempted to reach for a quick fix — such as vending machine candy or doughnuts at the office. In addition, the prolonged fasting that occurs when you skip breakfast can increase your body's insulin response, which in turn increases fat storage and weight gain. In fact, skipping breakfast actually increases your risk of obesity.
· Healthy choices. Eating breakfast may get you on track to make healthy choices all day. When you eat breakfast, you tend to eat a healthier overall diet, one that is more nutritious and lower in fat. When you skip breakfast, you're more likely to skip fruits and vegetables the rest of the day, too.
· More energy. Eating breakfast may give you energy, increasing your physical activity during the day. A healthy breakfast refuels your body and replenishes the glycogen stores that supply your muscles with immediate energy. Skipping breakfast is associated with decreased physical activity.
So, if you skip breakfast — whether you're trying to save time or cut calories — you may want to reconsider, especially if you're trying to control your weight.
Tips on Eating a Quick and Healthy Breakfast
Posted by Gen Hayes at 11:00 AM